The summer monsoons bring rain that we need, but the mosquitoes also use it for breeding. Mosquitoes can lay eggs in tree holes and containers such as old tires, buckets, toys, potted plant trays and saucers, bird baths, fountains, wading pools, pet water dishes, plastic covers or tarps, or any other thing that can hold water. It only takes 3 days for mosquitoes to transform from eggs to "biting" adults.
Chapter III, Regulation 2, of the Maricopa County Health Code states:"No person shall cause, maintain, or within his control, permit any accumulation of water in which mosquitoes breed or are likely to breed. The owner, occupant, or person in control of any place where mosquitoes are breeding, or which constitutes a breeding place for mosquitoes shall take all necessary and proper steps to eliminate the mosquito breeding and to prevent its recurrence . . ."
Who is responsible for mosquito control?The best way to eliminate mosquitoes is to eliminate their breeding sites. Residents, businesses, homeowner's associations, and municipalities are all responsible for eliminating and preventing mosquito breeding on property they own, occupy, or are responsible for maintaining.
The Town of Gilbert's mosquito control program oversees the treatment and elimination of mosquito breeding areas only at its municipal parks, facilities, groundwater recharge and wildlife habitats, and Town operated retention basin areas. The Town provides fogging and larvacide treatment applications in these areas only twice per week, from April 1st through October 31st annually. The fogging operations take place during night time hours by certified technicians using a product that is safe around humans and animals.
On those evenings that wind or rain prohibits fogging at the Town’s designated treatment areas, the contractor will retry the next evening. If the weather is prohibitive again on that night, the contractor will resume on the next normally scheduled evening.
- The Town of Gilbert is striving to improve the effectiveness of our fogging. To reduce the potential for chemical resistance in mosquitos, Gilbert’s contractor will alternate fogging between EPA approved Fyfanon ULV and Kontrol 4-4.
- Mosquito infestation observed at municipal parks and/or riparian preserves can be reported by filling out an on-line mosquito infestation investigation request. You may also call 480-503-6400 (Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm) and a customer service representative will be happy to assist you.
- Residential areas in Gilbert are no longer included under the Town’s mosquito fogging program. If your subdivision or area is having problems with mosquitoes, please contact the Maricopa County Vector Control Hotline at 602-506-6616.
Are mosquito problems also linked to dry wells?
A dry well that is not functioning properly can lead to improper drainage and the flooding of the area surrounding the dry well. The Town of Gilbert regularly maintains our drywells. If you observe an issue please visit our on-line mosquito infestation investigation request form.
What can you do to prevent mosquito breeding?
You can help fight mosquitoes by eliminating their breeding grounds.
- Empty standing water from containers after each rain event
- Check and eliminate places that accumulate water after irrigating your yard
- Keep fountains operating or drain the water
- Keep swimming pools treated and circulating
- Repair leaky pipes and outside faucets and sprinklers
- Check air conditioning drain hoses to ensure water is not pooling
- Replace your outdoor lights with yellow "bug lights"
- Fill in low spots and level areas within retention basins
- Last, repair and properly maintain dry wells that exist on your property
- Dry wells - Town of Gilbert's Environmental Programs Division at (480) 503-6421
- Town of Gilbert's mosquito control program - Wastewater Division at (480) 503-6439
- County mosquito control requirements - Maricopa County Vector Control at (602) 506-0700
- Green (stagnant) swimming pools - Maricopa County Vector Control at (602) 506-0700
Areas Fogged & Treated With Larvacide For Mosquitoes By The Town of Gilbert:
- Cosmo Park
- Crossroads Park
- Discovery Park
- Freestone Park
- Hetchler Soccer Park (Gilbert Youth Soccer Complex)
- Madera Park (Park Improvement District)
- McQueen Park
- Neely Recharge Facility
- Nichols Park
- Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch Recharge Facility
- South Recharge Facility
- Val Vista Park (Park Improvement District)
- Vaughn Retention Basin