Tips to Protect Your Identity
- Review your bank and credit card statements monthly.
- Remove your social security number from your driver’s license.
- Keep credit card account information in a safe place.
- Never give bank or credit card account information over the phone unless you initiated the call and know the business.
- Order a copy of your credit report annually and check it carefully.
- Keep your wallet or purse in a secure place at all times.
- When ordering by phone or on-line, use a credit card rather that a debit card.
- Always take your credit card receipts.
- Cancel credit cards that you don’t use.
- Install a locked mailbox at your home or use a post office box.
- Use a secure mailbox when mailing bills or checks.
- Shred anything with personal identifying information before discarding.
- Store PIN numbers and credit/debit cards in separate safe places.
- Delete all personal information from your computer before disposing of it.
- Remove your name from mailing lists generated by telemarketers.
- Minimize the number of credit cards you carry.
- Don’t carry your social security card with you.
- Never use your social security card for identification.
What is "Personal Identifying Information"?
- date of birth
- pin numbers
- social security number
How do Thieves get Your Personal Identifying Information?
- Steal your wallet or purse
- Steal personal information from your home or vehicle
- Steal credit or debit card numbers as the card is being processed
- Steal mail from your mailbox
- Go through your trash
- Pretend to be your landlord or employer to get your credit reports or personnel records
- Divert your mail by using a change of address form
- You give it to people you trust
What are the Most Common Kinds of Identity Fraud?
- Credit card fraud
- Phone and utility fraud
- Bank fraud
- Employment-related fraud
- Government document or benefit fraud
- Loan fraud
Where to go for Information
Arizona AgenciesArizona Attorney General - Office of Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard -
1275 West Washington Street, Phoenix, Arizona 85007
602-542-5763 / Toll Free 800-352-8431
400 West Congress, Suite 315,Tucson, Arizona 85701
520-628-6504 / Toll Free 800-352-8431
Arizona Motor Vehicle Department - 800-251-5866
To remove your social security number from your driver’s license or to order a duplicate driver’s license - Service Arizona
Equifax Information Services - P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0241 - 800-525-6285
Experian - P.O. Box 9532, Allen, Texas 75013 - 888-397-3742
Trans Union - P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, California 92634-6790 - 800-680-7289
To remove your name from credit bureau mailing lists, call 888-567-8688.
To remove your name and home address from national telemarketing mailing and phone lists: Direct Marketing Association - Consumers